What To Do If You Have Been Charged With A Felony | Pasco County
If you are arrested for a Felony within the State of Florida there are a number of vital and essential steps to initially and immediately take to preserve and prepare the defense of your case:
- Recognize that time is of the essence – the State Attorney, through the Police, is building his case against you. Every day you wait may cause a critical loss in the defense of your case.
- Obtain witnesses names, addresses and phone numbers. If possible obtain dates and signed statements from and all potential witnesses.
- If appropriate, take pictures of the crime scene, injuries to yourself and any evidence which would help persuade the State Attorney or a Court to accept your defense.
- Hire an attorney with criminal trial experience. Ask if they have ever tried a case to a jury. Ask the attorney to review his / her qualifications to represent you in this criminal matter. Remember, it is your liberty that may be at stake – would you risk your life with someone not qualified to defend you?
- Discuss the possible options open to you in your case if you enter a plea such as Drug Court, Diversion Programs, Youthful Offender, Probation, Community Control (know as House Arrest), County Jail and potentially State Prison.
- Discuss possible depositions of state witnesses, hiring your own expert witnesses, filing various motions to limit or eliminate the charge or charges as well as testimony and evidence.
At Bianco & Mansfield we are both former prosecutors with extensive trial experience. Please call us for a free consultation.